viernes, 15 de agosto de 2014

Basic Roleplays for oral interaction and testing

This is part of an alternative English syllabus, which will focus on the students´ real future needs.
I have selected the role-play situations below using my experience as an English teacher in Spain for nearly four decades. Role-plays require a lot of practice and the reward is immense...:FLUENCY

At a Shoe shop/ At a clothes shop/ souvenir shop/ pet shop/mobile phone shop...

At a restaurant / pub/ bar /cafe/coffee bar/bistro/..

At the airport check-in desk/ passport control/ customs

Taking a taxi cab

A job interview

At the doctor´s

Discussing where and how to go on holiday

Conversation with a policeman/woman to report the theft of your car/the burglary in your house/ a street mugging/witness to an accident..

Two friends are commenting on an interesting news item

At the garage/filling station

At the campsite

at a hotel/youth hostel 

At the cleaner´s/ launderette

At the bank/ exchange office

At the post office

On the telephone

At the lost property office

At the tourist information office

Asking the way

Visiting and receiving an exchange partner

Expressing your feelings

Using public transport ( BY RAIL/ AIR/ BUS/ TAXI/..)

At a hairdresser´s

At a chemist´s

Asking favours

The weather

Complimenting people

Apologising

At the concert/ theatre/ cinema

Renting a car/ a house 

Flat hunting

Buying and selling property 

Family problems

 

As a typical example of any role-play above: The clothes shop role-play could be similar to this:

 

Customer: Good morning

Shop Assistant: Good morning. Can I help you?

C.: Yes, please I´m looking for a T-shirt

S.A.: What colour?

C.: Black

S.A.: What size?

C.: Medium

S.A.: Here you are

C.: How much is it?

S.A.: 8 euros

C.: Can I pay by credit card?

S.A.: If you have cash it´ll be better in cash

C.:O.K. Here you are

S.A.: Thanks . have a nice day

C.: Bye 

 

Special thanks to Manuel Jesús Platero Jimena, a handling agent at Málaga airport,  for suggesting the role-plays below:

 


CONVERSATION 1
Passenger: Good morning, is this the check-in desk for Stansted?
Handling Agent: Yes,sir. May I see your boarding card?
P.: Passport as well?
H.A.: Yes please.
P.: Can I put my luggage on the belt now?
H.A.: Sure… Your luggage is four kilos overweight. You can take some stuff out or pay for that.
P.: How much is it?
H.A.: It's 40 €.
P.: I think I will reorganise my luggage and put some clothes in my carry-on bags, is that ok?
H.A.: Ok, please stay on one side and let me know when you finish.
P.: I also have a buggy and a car seat.
H.A.: You can take your buggy to the boarding gate if it is more comfortable for you, but the car seat must be checked in before going to the security control.
P.: Ok, I have already finished. Where do I go now?
H.A.: Straight on to the end of terminal three for the security control and then check the screens for your boarding gate.
P.: Two more questions, please. Can I smoke in the security area? And is there anywhere to eat?
H.A.: Smoking is not allowed in the airport. But you still have a lot of time to smoke some cigarettes outside. And there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the security area.
P.: And for my child?
H.A.: There is a baby lounge and a small park with some swings.
P.: Excellent, thank you very much for your help. Have a nice day.
H.A.: You're welcome, have a nice flight.



CONVERSATION 2
Passenger: Hi there, I checked in online but forgot to print out my boarding pass.
Handling Agent: Can you show me your boarding pass on your phone, tablet, laptop…?
P.: No, why?
H.A.: You can reprint your boarding pass here free of charge if you have a proof that you downloaded it from our website. Otherwise you have to pay a fee of 15€. That's why I asked. By the way, let me see your passport. Where are you flying?
P.: Liverpool. Ok, I'll pay. Do I have to pay here?
H.A.: Not here. With this receipt, you have to go to the office in front of you. Once you pay, come back for your boarding pass.
P.: Do I have to queue again?
H.A.: No, just come directly to me without queueing.
P.: Here I am again.
H.A.: And here you are .Your boarding pass.
P.: Is my flight on time?
H.A.: I don't know that information from here. In case there is a delay, you will have all the information on the screens 40 minutes before your plane takes off.
P.: Is the flight full?
H.A.: It is completely full. Probably they will ask you to check in your hand luggage for free if you are one of the last to board the plane.
P.: Why is that?
H.A.: Because of the limitation of space in the cabin. Sometimes last passengers have to send their hand baggages into the hold of the aircraft.
P.: Alright, thanks.
H.A.: It's ok. Bye.

 


 

 

 




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario